Weight Loss

Sunday, October 10, 2010

What's Next?


Arguably it may be a little early to start planning for what's next.  I was thinking I should wait a few  more weeks.  Maybe  I would be of sounder mind?  But no, I'm anxious to plan, at least generally, what comes next.

So here we go. 

I promised myself last winter, as I was training for the Little Rock Marathon, that I would never ever train for a late winter/early spring race.  I hate the treadmill and I don't like the cold, especially in the early morning hours before the sun rises.  It was a long and unhappy training season.  So my focus is on late spring/summer races.  I would really like to do another 50km, as a training race for a 50 miler.  And I think I really would like to do the Ice Age 50 miler.  Likely, I would do the Croom Fools 50km as the training run.   I also like to have some options.  Possible next races include:

April 9 - Croom Fools Run 50km (Florida)
May 7 - Greenland 50km (Colorado)
May 14 - Ice Age 50 mile (Wisconsin)
June 25 - Black Hills 50 mile (South Dakota)
July 16 - North Fork 50m/50km (Colorado)

It is entirely possible that I'll do some shorter races over the winter session.  Or perhaps I should try a snowshoe race?

In the mean time, here's how I plan on spending the winter season:
  • Maintain a 25 - 35 mile weekly running base.
  • Work on my running form.  Being a heel striker is inefficient and perhaps contributed to those heel blisters.  This will include some barefoot drills (or in shoes like newtons or vibrams).
  • Lose 24 pounds.  This is going to be hard.  However, this will get me to my "racing weight."
  • Strength train 2 - 3x/week. 
  • Cross train.  I'm looking at a trainer for my bike and I just got a pair of snowshoes.  FYI for readers outside of Colorado - it is not too early to be thinking snow!  Our mountains got some snow this weekend and at least one ski resort starting making snow!
Hopefully, all of this keeps the blog entertaining!

Thanks again for all your awesome comments!  I really appreciate the encouragement you provide.  I am so fortunate!

Yesterday, I took a 4 mile walk with the running group, with some run breaks included.  This is the first activity since the race.  I had hoped to get out sooner, but those heel blisters didn't let me wear proper shoes until yesterday.  I think that was all well and good because I'm still fighting fatigue.  It's hard when your heart tells you to "go" and your body says "no."

Better get back to my pot of black beans.  They have to be the most beautiful food...

Have a great week!

Laura

3 comments:

  1. I've done Ice Age. It's a good race, despite what I've said about it in race reports (5 ultras in 6 weeks puts me in a bad mood). Black Hills must be new this year; I may have to put it on my calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have some great plans! I am hoping we can get out to do some skate skiing this winter for something a little different. Hey, have you looked at this race???
    http://www.collegiatepeakstrailrun.org/Page.aspx?PageID=3419
    If my body can get back in the groove, I may look at the 25 mile. It is on the same day as Greenland, I think, and would probably be a bit more interesting than Greenland, scenery-wise. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that Collegate one sounds great too, HappyTrails!

    There's a snowshoe race, Frisco Gold rush first weekend of Feb.

    Your plans sound fantastic! Count me in for some training trail runs, I'm your gal. And might possibly be able to be support in Buena Vista, if you pick one of those.

    ReplyDelete