Weight Loss

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Happy December!


Today's run with Runners Edge of the Rockies started with 50 degree temperatures!  But yet still there were discussions concerning whether a live or artificial tree was preferred...Colorado's weather is just crazy...and I'm not complaining.  I prefer a live tree but I think I'll stick to some poinsettias this year.


It's been a long time since I last posted.  Happy Trails inspired me to post today.  I was so happy to see their update!  And inspired by Kathleen's resilience and optimism. 


I started a new job on October 1st.  And I spent all summer long enduring a long hiring process.  So that's what has been keeping me busy.  This is a dream job and it has been challenging and absolutely wonderful.  It requires a bit of travel so that has been a huge adjustment when it comes to fitting in runs and other workouts as well as eating healthy.  I got quite a bit off track, although I am happy to report that I am slowly getting back on track.  I was actually eating meals at Burger King, Subway and convenience stores.  And when I wasn't eating fast food, I was eating a lot of meals out with too much alcohol.  WHAT THE HECK?  This only caused a lack of motivation to be active and compounded the normal stress one experiences in a new job. 


I just finished an entire week of no processed foods and viola by body and mind is happy.  Priceless.   And as a bonus, I dropped 4.0 pounds in this past week without ever feeling hungry and without counting calories.  The importance of food just can't be underestimated when it comes to our overall well-being.  My meals this past week have included a lot of green monsters, eggs, squash, spinach, zucchini, kale, brussel sprouts, carrots, coconut oil, made-by-me bison meatloaf, chicken, apples, blueberries, walnuts, almonds, pecans, yogurt, parmesan and blue cheeses and dark chocolate.  It's a relief to be back on track.


Over the summer I turned myself over to a friend to help my running.  She has been patient especailly when I have not.  And what might be counterintuitive, we went to a walk/run at predetermined distance intervals, gradually increasing the run distance and shortening the walk distance.  It has been a slow mind-numbing process but guess what?  I'm getting faster.  I have to remind myself of this when my patience runs thin and I want to ditch the walk breaks.  While I won't PR at my next race (Tucson Half next weekend), I will beat my time of my last half and I do think I can manage my race better and negative split.  Stay tuned!

Happy Running!

Laura

3 comments:

  1. Laura, thank you so much for your very kind words - to think that I was able to offer a little encouragement to you is big encouragement to me, so thank you! I love the "Every Test" quote you have at the top - perfect - and good for us to keep in the front of our minds as a positive mantra to keep on keeping on when the going gets rough. Poinsettias will be lovely - will there be lights, too??? Sparkly lights are my fave!!! Your revised menu this past week sounds delicious - fresh foods, even though they require a bit more effort to prepare at times, seem to taste best. Keep up the diligent focus - you can do it, for sure. Congrats on your dream job - that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am love love LOVING that quote! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, so glad you're back! And feeling better. And YAY!!!! for no processed foods. Ahh. Green. :)

    ReplyDelete