Weight Loss

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

No, You Can't Eat Whatever You Want

They say that you shouldn't try to lose weight while training for a marathon.  Instead, you should focus on fueling your body.  They also say the less you weigh, the faster you run.    And then there is the perception that if you run, you can eat whatever you wish.  Oh how I wish that were true. 

What's a girl to do?  Well, I'm still trying to lose weight.  But as I approach this, I'm going to try hard to pick foods that are of good quality, that actually provide healthy fuel for my body.  I also know that on Tuesdays and Saturdays, I may need to eat more to accomplish my goals.  Tuesdays are usually my longest weekday run and Saturdays are my long runs. 

But more cannot equal reckless eating.  I wish giving myself permission to eat more was easy.  I felt like a big ol' failure in the food department, until I ran my totals.  Today, I'll burn around 2450 calories.  I'll share you with in a later post how I know this.  So today's total of 1943 calories keeps me on track to have a 500 calorie deficit - which is enough to lose one pound per week if I achieve this total deficit each day.  All of this tells me that while I remain viligent, maybe I need to remember to breathe and chill.

My am snack was a banana and a KIND Plus Almond & Cashew Bar.  I LOVE this bar.  It has flaxseed in it and no sodium.  A real easy way to get a healthy portion of nuts. 



Lunch included my turkey sandwich (nine grain bread, 3 oz of low-sodium turkey breast, and 1.5T of miracle whip) and an apple.



Plus some tomatoes with a low fat string cheese stick cut up with some balsamic vinegar on top.



And if that wasn't enough, I had 1 oz of Pirate's Booty.  Whew, you think I'd be full...



Part of my afternoon snack was a caramel by Fran's Chocolates.  This box of caramels was brought into our office by our law clerk (contraband for sure!) and these are amazing.  I had the dark chocolate with gray sea salt.  The best 50 calories ever!




The rest of my snack was a chocolate chip Clif Z bar.




Dinner was a repeat of last night's nacho fix.  It included 1.5 oz of Guiltless Gourmet Blue Corn Chips, 3.75 oz of grilled chicken breast, 2 T. salsa, 2 T. reduced fat sour cream and 1/4 c. of guacamole.  Hit the spot again!  I guess I was in a keep my food separate kinda mood.




And I ended the evening with a cup of Constant Comment tea, with 1 t. sugar and a touch of milk.  The milk is not included in my daily total, but I think that's OK.  I wish you could smell this tea.  It is intoxicating.  It is described as "tea flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice." 




I should sign off so I can be sure to stretch.  I'm always a stretching slacker and my IT band is starting to talk to me.  Have a good evening!

Daily totals:
Calories: 1943 calories (20% protein, 54% carbs, 26% fat)
Run: 7.05 miles
Men: zero

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment