Monday, September 26, 2011
I feel a little like I'm stuck in quick sand or stranded. I also feel a little beat up. Honestly, I didn't really want to admit it and certainly not write about it. I tend to be upbeat, but it has been a rough year. I was ready to right off 2011 as a not-so-good year and wait for 2012 to arrive. But that would be an incredible waste of three months.
By the way, am I only the one that can't believe October is almost here? I know some of my funk can be attributed to the abrupt (at least here in Denver) change in season and the dramatic shortening of day light. I swear during my Thursday run, the sun didn't come for a good 45 minutes into the run...On the upside though, I love running in 40 and 50 degree weather!
Funk aside, I'm not tossing in the towel - just need to recommit to some goals for the remainder of the year. Here they are:
1. Consistency. I need to stick to my training plan. I've been taking more than my share of rest days and not consistenty getting in my week day runs.
2. Go to speed work. Yup, I have skipped Tuesday speed work sessions more than I have attended. Some times it has been unavoidable due to travel and work. But I will be attending up until the Savannah Marathon.
3. Train by heart rate. I feel stuck in the speed department and how to measure a successful long run. I know consistency and speed work have a lot to do with this. But I feel like I need to change things up a little bit, so I'm going to see Dr. Inigo Milan on Friday and dial in my heart rate training zone.
4. Sleep. Get some. More than the 5 to 6 hours a night that I have been getting.
5. Nutrition. I've gained 5 pounds this past month! No joke. I'm conflicted about high protein and high carb food plans and all the information that is out there. I'm obviously eating too much and the lack of sleep also impacts my weight. So I'm putting myself in the hands of a nutritionist. She is not a high protein or a high carb proponent. Whew! My body doesn't like either plans. Anyhow, I meet with her next week but until then, I'm getting back to logging food. I wish I could self-regulate myself like I think "normal" people do. But if I don't log my food, I gain weight. Time to get this in check. The upside is I no longer fear gaining all the weight back...
I think these are five goals that will help me get out of this "stuck" feeling....and provide a great base for my next challenge: The Rocky Racoon 50 in February. I miss the trails. I don't think I could have made time to train on trails over the summer because work was absolutely insane but I'm hoping to find a way to get them back in the rotation. I volunteered at the Bear Chase race yesterday and it reminded me what I was missing. Maybe this is why I'm feeling stuck too. Yesterday was great for my soul. I was so inspired watching folks challenge themselves on the dirt and in the heat. Congrats to all those who participated!
Here's to a great 3 remaining months of 2011 (and more regular blogging)! Happy Running!