Weight Loss

Friday, November 27, 2009

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Yesterday I brought roasted sweet potatoes to Thanksgiving Day dinner.  They were really good, so I'm posting the recipe!

Thanks to Dr. L for the recipe, which is from Culinary School in Denver.


Serves 6 - 8

Ingredients
8 medium sweet potatoes (I used 7 and it still was a lot.  I don't think grocery stores carry anything other than extra large sweet potatoes - I think 5 sweet potatoes would be enough)
2 T olive oil
Coarse salt to taste
2 T butter (I didn't add this because I was making it vegan - they were still yummy but I think butter will only add to the flavor!)
2 T brown sugar
1/3 c pecans, chopped
1/8 t cayenne pepper (I really recommend you don't skip this - it was great!)

Method
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel potatoes and halve lengthswise; slice crosswise 1/2 inch thick.  On a baking sheet, toss potatoes with olive oil, season with salt.
2.  Transfer half the potatoes to a second baking sheet; cook both sheets until potatoes are tender, tossing occasionally, about 25 to 30 minutes.  (My potatoes took almost 45 mintues before they got tender).
3.  Sprinkle with butter, brown sugar, pecans and cayenne pepper, dividing evenly.  Place baking sheets back in the oven until sugar is carmelized and crisp, about 10 minutes.  Gently toss, serve immediately. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment