Weight Loss

Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Trot Race Report and Turkey Day Eats

My very first Turkey Trot!  It was a really fun race!


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  It isn't commercial, it centers around some of my favorite foods, and you gather with friends and/or family and enjoy their company.  The four day weekend doesn't hurt either! 

I started the morning with my usual breakfast: coffee with 1/2 c. 1% milk and 1 t. sugar; and Nature's Path Maple Nut Hot Oatmeal with 1/2 c. blueberries with a sprinkle of cinnamon. 

I was out the door at 9:00 am to make my way to Wash Park.  The schedule called for 6 miles and I wanted to 2 miles before the Turkey Trot started.  I found parking quite easy and had a great pre-race 2 mile warm up.  My first mile was around the neighborhood that borders the park and the last one was in the park.  The weather was absolutely beautiful.  Highs were predicted to be in the middle 60s but at 9:45am it was 62 degrees already!  As I was finishing my warm-up I saw Coach from the running group.  It's always great to see Coach, he's one of those energy-giving, life-affirming people.  I made my way back to my car to ditch my jacket and gloves.  I met up with the running group folks by the flag pole and then we made our way to the start. 

I signed up for the second wave, but honestly, I'm not sure where the first wave ended and the second wave began.  I lined up with some others from the group.  One person is going to race in her first ultra next weekend and it was exciting to hear about her training and her excitement about the race.  I think it took a good 10 minutes before we crossed the start line.  The first 2.25 miles were on the street that goes around the park and then the remaining 1.75 miles is in the inner loop of the park. 

As usual, I started out way too fast, but slowed it down after the first 1/2 mile.  Things were extremely congested, so you needed to put your patience hat on.  It was not uncommon to find a whole string of walkers blocking almost the entire race course.  Usually, I hate races.  I don't really do well with all the crowds, I get easily distracted by other runners, and I far more enjoy the ease of most training runs.  But the Turkey Trot was different.  I didn't care about my time and I enjoyed looking at all the costumed turkeys! 

Around mile 1,  I ran into Dr. L and her son-in-law and we stayed together for the remaining way.  I was going to Dr. L's for Thanksgiving dinner so we were chatting about food and family.  And then I saw the finish line and picked it up a little...I was happy to cross the finish and get my 6 miles in and had a really fun time doing it. 

After I walked through the vendor area for some swag...i.e. Clif bars, I made my way home.  I had a snack of one slice of bread and 1 T. reduced fat peanut butter.


For lunch I had a little lettuce salad (out of tomatoes!) with 1 T of Newman's Own Light Honey Dijon


and Cedar Lane's Low Fat Chicken Burrito with 2 T reduced fat sour cream with some ancho chili powder.  Yummy!


Thanksgiving dinner was at Dr. L's.  I met Dr. L from the running group and it isn't unusual for us to run in the morning 2 -3 times each week.  I made roasted sweet potatoes and I'll share the recipe in the next post.  Dr. L's daughter and son-in-law are vegans, so the majority of sides were vegan.  I hope that means I didn't do so badly food wise.  Thankfully, they still had turkey, dressing with sausage and turkey gravy.  It was all so yummy.  No picture, sorry.  Dr L's husband did take one of my plate, so I'll post it if he passes it along...

My eats included turkey and dressing with gravy, vegan sweet potatoes, vegan mushroom bisque (made with tofu - and I'm not a fan of the mushroom, but this was good), homeade roll with butter, two glasses of wine, cranberry relish, vegan mashed potatoes and a slice of vegan pumpkin pie with real whipping cream.  I'm hoping my estimates for the day are somewhat close! 

Totals:
Calories: 2386 (15% Protein, 55% Carbs, 30% Fat)
Run: 6 miles
Men: zero

No comments:

Post a Comment