Weight Loss

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Beans and Chocolate

Happy Valentines Day!  If you love the holiday like I do, I hope you had a wonderful day to celebrate LOVE.  And if you think it is a contrived Hallmark holiday, I think you are missing out!  What's not to LOVE about the colors red & pink, flowers and chocolate!?!

My chocolate arrived in the form of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies!  Don't ya love Girl Scout cookies?


And a serving of these delicious chocolate treats supplies this athlete with 22 grams of carbs!  How's that for justifying munching on these!

This weekend was such a great weekend.  A perfect blend of running, dating, and resting.  This afternoon, I enjoyed a 3 hour nap.  Wonder if I'll be able to sleep this evening...

Run
Saturday morning was a 10 mile run with my fabulous pace group!  I love the course we ran, it was a mix of bike trail and neighborhood streets.  There is one challenging hill but a downhill finish that's sweet.  The plan was to hit 4 goal pace miles.  I only managed 2 miles and both were 15 to 45 seconds faster than goal pace...wonder if that evens things out? 

Weather was perfect.  But my IT band is not.  This should not surprise me.  I have neglected stretching on a regular basis.  And last week was a 40 mile week.  Both these factors aggrevate things for sure.  This week my goal is to follow my training plan, make time to stretch and go to my chiropractor for some much needed ART (active release technique). 

Beans
I made this fabulous recipe a few weeks back.  For pictures, revisit this post...I recommend these burgers, they were filling...I found the recipe at the NY Times.  I think you could really customize these burgers by varying the spices. 

White Bean Burgers
By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN


2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
Salt to taste
2 to 3 large garlic cloves (to taste), green shoots removed, minced
2/3 cup finely grated carrot
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or thyme ( I used fresh sage)
½ cup fresh bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Whole grain hamburger buns and the condiments of your choice

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium-size skillet and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt, the garlic and the grated carrot, and continue to cook for another minute or two, until fragrant and the carrot has softened slightly. Remove from the heat.

2. In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, puree the beans with the lemon juice. I did this with my small processor in a couple of batches.  Transfer to a bowl and stir in the onion mixture, the parsley, sage or thyme, the bread crumbs and the egg. Season to taste. Shape into patties, ½- to ¾-inch thick. Set on a parchment-covered baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. This is critical as it will make them easier to turn - they are so delicate it is important they get a little firm.

3. Heat the remaining oil in a large, heavy skillet or on a griddle over medium heat and brown the patties for 4 minutes on each side, being very careful when you turn them over. An offset spatula works well for this. Serve on whole grain buns, with the condiments of your choice.

Yield: 6 patties.  (I made 7 burgers...about a 1/2 cup of the mixture each).

Advance preparation: You can make the patties up to a day ahead; cover and refrigerate.

Eats
Saturday morning, pre run, I had my usual coffee with a slice of peanut butter toast.


After the run, I enjoyed a hot chocolate with a friend from the running group.  I hadn't seen her since before Thanksgiving, so it was good catch up time!  For lunch, I had Amy's Margherita Pizza.  It was so simple and I think that makes it so good!


I snacked on some rice crackers with some cream cheese.  They were wasabi flavored crackers and they were yummy!  Then I went to a friend's house for an all girls' unValentine party.  There I had a glass of red wine, an amazing chocolate covered strawberry and some guacamole and chips.  I then left the party to meet up with date #3.  I wasn't hungry and ended up drinking my calories over the next five hours.  A beer and two lemon drop martinis.  This is not good fuel for an athlete...

This morning, I started with my oatmeal and finally figured out how to cook it in the microwave and not have it overflow from the bowl!  The solution was a bigger bowl :-).  My morning snack (and I repeated this for my afternoon snack) was some reduced fat wheat thins and some tex-mex smoked gouda spread.  I got this during my trip to Costco!  I love Costco!!

Lunch was a sweet carmelized onion chicken burger...from Costco on a slice of honey whole wheat bread and a little bbq sauce on the side.


Dinner was waffles, with 1/2 c. frozen blue berries and 1 T. maple syrup. 


My plan had been to make sweet potato and peanut soup...but I forgot the sweet potatoes!  Maybe I'll make it tomorrow evening...

Daily Totals
Saturday
Run: 10 miles, 2 at faster than goal pace
Eats: 2207 calories (11% protein, 62% carbs (288 g), and 27% fat)
Calories Burned: 3269
Calorie Balance: -1062
Men: date with bachelor #3 - He seems to have all the good qualities of bachelor #1 and #2...he's heading out of town but we are going to attend a hockey game on Friday evening

Sunday
Run: None, planned day off
Eats: 1448 calories (13% protein, 54% carbs (203 g) and 33% fat
Calories Burned: 1900
Calorie Balance: -452
Men: a few emails...bachelor #1 was going to call, but he has not...hmmmm.

Have a great evening!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment